CInI’s Lakhpati Kisan programme seeks to inspire individuals to demand services that enhance their quality of life.
The Central Indian tribal belt is home to 75% of India’s indigenous tribal communities, who live in abject poverty, with barely any livelihood opportunities.
The central thrust of CInI’s Lakhpati Kisan – Smart Villages Mission Programme is the promotion of complementary livelihood prototype combinations to provide a substantial income source to augment agricultural income; as well as to promote agricultural clusters with year-round irrigation support.
From past experience, the organisation knew the importance of:
- Access to irrigation to ensure sustainable incomes
- Diversification to high-value crops to improve crop productivity
- Direct and fair market linkages
- Improved access to education, water, sanitation and health
- Single-window financing to improve credit availability
Hence, CInI promoted commercial vegetable production and floriculture to generate higher economic returns per unit of land. Healthy seeds for better yield coupled with mechanisation to reduce labour are the focus of the agricultural clusters, which generate enough quantity to bring traders to the producers.